At Home and Community Care Support Services Toronto Central by providing an accessible workplace, we want all of our employees to feel valued, appreciated, and free to be who they are at work. That is why we are intentionally committed to diversity and inclusion by providing an accessible and inclusive work place for all persons. We are strongly committed to include Black, Indigenous, visible minorities, Francophone, 2SLGBTQ+ persons, neurodiversity, women, national origin, ancestry, disability status, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, all faiths, or any other aspect, which makes them unique, through recognizing each applicant through anti-racism and anti-oppressive practices to ensure equitable opportunity.
The Communications Specialist is responsible for supporting the development and implementation of internal and external communications plans, organizational initiatives and other confidential matters, locally and provincially. Reporting to the Manager, Communications, the Communications Specialist develops key communications products, engages internal leaders and teams to provide communications support and advice, and establishes relationships with key stakeholders to educate, inform and advance Home and Community Care Support Services’ strategic priorities. A valued member of the Toronto Central team, this position also supports the provincial Communications team and provides services across geographies, as assigned.
- Support initiatives in Toronto Central and as part of the provincial Communications team – operating as one team to support HCCSS-wide priorities and objectives – including materials for the CEO and Board, as well as projects that impact staff and stakeholders across the province
- Engage and collaborate with Communications teams across the province to streamline efforts and maximize resources
- Support the development of Communications & Engagement strategies aligned with the organization’s strategic priorities including public relations, stakeholder engagement, marketing, brand management, social media and issues management
- Develop and implement communications plans and tactics to support corporate projects and initiatives, which at times may include confidential matters about the organization or operations
- Provide Communications support/advice, including on confidential matters, to the Communications Manager and/or Director, provincial Communications team and other leaders
- Advise and work collaboratively with human resources, including on confidential matters which may include information about employees or positions, to effectively engage and communicate with staff to raise awareness of HR initiatives, programs and policies
- Create written and designed content (in collaboration with graphic designer) for newsletters, brochures, posters, videos, web, intranet, speeches, presentations and other communication materials aimed at diverse audiences
- Oversee the production of patient-facing pamphlets, brochures and newsletters and coordinate the distribution of print/branded materials to staff, patients, caregivers, etc.
- Oversee the translation of materials, including use of internal French translators and external translators for additional languages
- Leverage digital technology solutions and incorporate digital, social and web strategies to support strategic communications plans, while taking a lead role with social media activities
- Provide media relations support including creation of news releases, organization of media events, development of speaking points, triaging of media requests, development of media responses and building and maintaining strong media relationships
- Provide support for internal and external stakeholder engagement activities, including community engagement and education opportunities, in-person and virtually
- Provide issues management and risk management support
- Provide support for Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act requirements (FIPPA), keeping confidentiality top of mind
- Support crisis communications at the local level, and at the provincial level as assigned
- Monitor, analyze and report communication metrics and results to determine effectiveness of communications initiatives
- Uphold the organization’s reputation through relationship-building with stakeholders, public awareness activities and marketing in alignment with visual identity, brand guidelines, AODA compliance and French language requirements
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in communications, journalism, marketing or a related academic field
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in strategic communications, public affairs, marketing and health care communications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative software and website content management systems; proficiency with graphic design software an asset
- Communications experience in a multi-stakeholder environment. This includes knowledge and experience with best practices and planning methods
- Strong organization skills
- Ability to work independently and possess a strong sense of responsibility
- Detail-orientated, able to multi-task effectively, take initiative and function well in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Ability to analyze, digest and understand complex information
- Understanding of the Ontario health care system, its stakeholders, programs and issues
- Business professionalism
- Strong relationship management and facilitation skills, including the ability to work collaboratively with all levels of staff, members of the public, health system partners, government and other diverse stakeholders
- Developed negotiation and conflict resolution skills with the ability to provide advice on best practice guidelines
- Strong leadership skills to participate on/or lead internal committees, councils, etc.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, exercise good judgement and discretion when dealing with confidential information
- Business Acumen: Ability to apply business principles, including systems thinking, to the healthcare environment; basic business principles include financial management, human resource management, organizational dynamics and governance, strategic planning, risk management and quality improvement.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Develops networks and builds alliances. Engages in cross-functional activities; collaborates across boundaries, and finds common ground with a widening range of stakeholders.
- Relationship Management: Builds multiple external collaborative relationships to support department performance. Identifies the key issues and accommodates the key players when dealing with external parties/units on joint projects.
- Strategic Planning: Communicates corporate goals and objectives within the department. Aligns department tasks and objectives with corporate goals and objectives. Establishes clear targets and measures to track progress toward department objectives. Shares organizational performance measurement information and encourages dialogue and analysis.
- Change Management: Actively embraces change efforts and initiatives to improve department performance. Develops and uses different methods to help employees to positively react to change.
- Community Engagement: Mobilize connections, facilitate collaboration and cooperation to create trust with the community.
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills: Makes clear and convincing oral and written presentations to individuals or groups; listens effectively and encourages open communication; facilitates an open exchange of ideas and fosters an atmosphere of open communication; considers and responds appropriately to the needs, feelings, and capabilities of others in different situations; is tactful, compassionate and sensitive, and treats others with respect.
- Crisis Management: Deals effectively with pressure; maintains focus and intensity and remains optimistic and persistent, even under adversity. Recovers quickly from setbacks.
Home and Community Care Support Services Toronto Central is committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process